POURQUOI?
So, I'm a Quebecer now - officially have Quebec licence plates on the car and a Quebec driver's licence. And of course there's a Bishop's Gaiters licence plate on the front to match the Gaiters sticker in the window - a bit of school spirit on my husband's part. I have been relatively quiet however, about the fact that, once again, St.Francis Xavier University (my alma mater) was ranked #1 in the country .... I feel sorry for him so I'll allow the Gaiters paraphenalia on our car. I had to put my foot down when it came to the Texas Longhorns. He received a nice car decal from my brother and wife in Austin, and Dave was sooooooooo excited to decorate our car with more university "stuff". I'll support the school that is paying my bills right now, but you're not hookin' me, Longhorns!
A lot of people have commented on their experiences in Quebec by relating incidences where they met Quebecers who would NOT speak English to them, even if they knew how. I had never actually experienced that. I have always had great interactions - in fact, when I am spoken to in French and then attempt to respond in the native language of this province, they always take pity on me, laugh to themselves at my poor interpretation, and immediately speak english to me. It's actually kind of maddening because how can I improve my French if nobody will converse with me? Well, I ran into my first insulting individual at the driver's licence place. She seemed really nice ("tres gentile") at first, and very helpful. But she didn't speak a lick of English, and luckily Dave was with me and he took care of communicating with her. But there was something about her..... it seemed to me that she knew exactly what we were saying to each other in English. This was confirmed when Dave and some guy he knows who happened to be at the office that day were talking about something in English, she interjected with a correction to what they were saying. Interjected in French, that is, but completely understood what they were saying in English.
WHY? POURQUOI? Why wouldn't she acknowledge the presence of the English language and allow us ALL to feel included in the conversation? In case you are not aware of the political and cultural situation in Quebec, there are folks here who support the idea of Quebec segregating from Canada and existing by themselves, to govern themselves how they believe best suits their uniqueness. French is the official language and anything in English (i.e. signage) has to be in smaller print, less significant. These are just two of the many ways that Quebec is different than any other place I've lived.
And I agree wholeheartedly that everyone has a right to stand up for what they believe in. But when someone, like me, is obviously trying to say a few words in French and trying to learn the language, what's the harm in saying Hello or Good Bye.
Au revoir. Bon soiree.
A lot of people have commented on their experiences in Quebec by relating incidences where they met Quebecers who would NOT speak English to them, even if they knew how. I had never actually experienced that. I have always had great interactions - in fact, when I am spoken to in French and then attempt to respond in the native language of this province, they always take pity on me, laugh to themselves at my poor interpretation, and immediately speak english to me. It's actually kind of maddening because how can I improve my French if nobody will converse with me? Well, I ran into my first insulting individual at the driver's licence place. She seemed really nice ("tres gentile") at first, and very helpful. But she didn't speak a lick of English, and luckily Dave was with me and he took care of communicating with her. But there was something about her..... it seemed to me that she knew exactly what we were saying to each other in English. This was confirmed when Dave and some guy he knows who happened to be at the office that day were talking about something in English, she interjected with a correction to what they were saying. Interjected in French, that is, but completely understood what they were saying in English.
WHY? POURQUOI? Why wouldn't she acknowledge the presence of the English language and allow us ALL to feel included in the conversation? In case you are not aware of the political and cultural situation in Quebec, there are folks here who support the idea of Quebec segregating from Canada and existing by themselves, to govern themselves how they believe best suits their uniqueness. French is the official language and anything in English (i.e. signage) has to be in smaller print, less significant. These are just two of the many ways that Quebec is different than any other place I've lived.
And I agree wholeheartedly that everyone has a right to stand up for what they believe in. But when someone, like me, is obviously trying to say a few words in French and trying to learn the language, what's the harm in saying Hello or Good Bye.
Au revoir. Bon soiree.

1 Comments:
Pourquoi les français les pensent-ils sont-ils spéciaux? Ils parlent l'affaire de Français.... Les pensent-ils sont-ils meilleurs que les anglais? Oui, est ce ce qu'ils pensent - mais pourquoi? S'ils étaient meilleurs, ils n'auraient pas été expulsés de la Nouvelle-Écosse dans le 1700s. Il est évident qu'ils essayent toujours de récupérer de cette défaite.
By
BigMac, at 8:48 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home